The Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights invites applications for the position of Part-Time Volunteer Coordinator. The Young Center is dedicated to promoting the best interests—safety and well-being—of unaccompanied and separated immigrant children in the United States. The immediate focus of the Young Center’s work is to serve as Child Advocate (guardian ad litem for children in immigration proceedings) for unaccompanied and separated children pursuant to the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act. The Young Center also conducts policy advocacy at the local and national level to promote consideration of best interests in all decisions concerning immigrant children. The Young Center is a project of the Tides Center and is an independent non-profit organization based at the University of Chicago Law School.
Volunteer and Law Student Support
● Develop and implement outreach plans to recruit new Child Advocates
● Lead staff planning of the semi-annual training for Child Advocates
● Oversee logistics of trainings:
● Send invitations, track RSVPS, order and pick up food, arrange for rooms, prepare materials, coordinate speaker arrangements
● Submit reimbursement forms for volunteers (i.e. mileage)
● Track and follow up with volunteers on their paperwork (with Social Worker)
● Work with social worker to develop ongoing education program for Child Advocates.
● Oversee the logistics of the program
● Produce and send emails, maintain electronic files and lists of prospective and current
● Conduct reference checks when application is complete
● Track active & inactive volunteers, contact info, and hours
● Input information into case notes
● Notify volunteers and supervising attorney of any communication child makes to office
● Undergraduate degree, or Junior or Senior College student
● Native or bilingual proficiency in Spanish
● Minimum of two years work experience, post college
● Excellent organizational skills
● Excellent writing skills, and a commitment to public interest work.
● Ability to take initiative and also work collaboratively.
● Enthusiasm for working with volunteers.
● Passion, tenacity and optimism for the issues affecting immigrant children and their families.
Hourly at $18-20, depending on experience
Part-time, 16 hours a week
The part-time Volunteer Coordinator will work from the University of Chicago Legal Clinic office. He/she will work at a shared desk. The office is a standard office environment with usual office equipment
How to Apply
Please email or fax a cover letter, resume and at least three references by July 10th to: Maria Woltjen, Director email@example.com or via Fax: 773-702-2063
The Young Center for Immigrant Children’s Rights of the Tides Center is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity. For more info visit, www.TheYoungCenter.org
Chicago Park District parks are the most popular destinations for fun and recreation in Chicago. Whether...
Get social! Latinos Progresando is now using Facebook Comments on our posts to provide an enhanced user experience. To post a comment, log into Facebook and then "add" your comment. To report spam or abuse, click the "X" in the upper right corner of the comment box.